Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Passion

7th grade math students working outside


The English language is so interesting, eccentric, and complicated. One word could be interpreted so many ways. Take "passion" for example; some may define it as that feeling that we have towards another person when we are in love with them, some may use it to describe various activities or things in life that give them passion, and others use it very often to describe spiritual things, such as their love for our Lord.



Students trying to find various shapes outside

 This weekend while at the high school retreat for BFA in Lenk, Switzerland we were proposed with a very intriguing question. It is a question that I have been asked before, but after serving at BFA for about 7 months I see a noticeable change in my answer. Being described at that which glorifies God, our passion is something that stirs excitement and joy inside of us that God has so graciously and selflessly blessed us with so that we could use for His glory.



Middle schoolers bowling on Activity Day


For those of you that know me personally probably know of my love for baking, and have probably, at one point or another, been able to taste one of my various creations. Now, I cannot promise that you did not try a burnt cookie or something of that sort - but nonetheless you've tried something created by me. Anyways, thinking about this whole idea of "passion" and what my passion is that I use to serve Him, my mind wandered to baking -- go figure!! However, it is more than just baking. My joy and excitement does not come from spending all that time in the kitchen creating all those yummy, detectible treats (although it is a great stress reliever), instead it contributes towards the bigger picture. Those truffles, pieces of fudge, cookie dough bites, and chocolate chip brownies are just examples of what helps aid my true passion - giving.


Middle school chapel at the HS -- they were excited!!


Whether it is a postcard, keychain, chocolate, a dessert or just simply a note -- God has given me the passion of gift giving. And let us be honest, I would not have it any other way. Seeing the happiness on people's face when they eat that piece of fudge or slice that piece of cake makes it all worth it -- multiplied by ten. Just think, that's the same joy and excitement that God experiences when He sees us actually use our talents to glorify Him -- times infinity!! The question is are we actually using the passions He has given us to glorify Him? Well, are you?


High School Retreat in Lenk, Switzerland

I know it is easier said than done, but think about it. Are you using the passions that God has given you to glorify Him? This is a question that I have to ask myself as well. Is the gift giving that I so thoroughly enjoy being done to glorify my God or to glorify myself? Most times I would like to say that it is selfless, but let us be honest with ourselves, we are merely humans who will sometimes seek glory for things that we should not. Does that make it right, of course not. Knowing that we serve and belong to a God that loves us no matter what as long as we profess with our mouths that He is our Lord as well as confess with our hearts, is very comforting.


Freshman small group girls and Co-leader (Katrina) at the HS Retreat


So, what's your passion? I would love to hear about it!!! I absolutely love hearing how others are glorifying God. Whether it is your profession, a hobby, or a lifelong goal we all have different passions in life -- what a great God we serve to give us such a thing!!!


Roomies and me at the HS Retreat (they have small groups too!)


















Things to look forward to this month:
Small group sleepover,
Subbing at the middle school dorm for 4-5 days,
Meetings for my missions trip to Belarus,
Parent/teacher meetings,
Leading staff devotions

Praises:  
Healthy birth of my friend's baby,
Successful completion of both my Health and Games class,
Progress with my friends move to Haiti this upcoming summer,
My mom's boss' tumor shrunk, allowing her more time with us,


Some high schoolers playing outside in the snow :-)


Prayers:
Funding and spiritual growth for our Belarus team,
Knowledge on how to creatively present the material in my classes,
More alone time with my Lord and Savior,
My friends and family as the Devil continues to attack

Thank you, thank you, thank you SO MUCH for your love and support through messages, emails, "snail" mail, and pacakges. It is a joy and a privilege to know each and every one of you!!!

The Alp that I had the chance to SLED down with some small groupers!!


"But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.' Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded."
~ James 4:6-8 ~

Playing volleyball in the gym during free time


One of the buildings where we stayed while on the Retreat

1 comment: